The government currently provides additional funding of £150 million per annum to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in Primary Schools. The aim of this funding is to:
- Increase participation rates in such activities as games, dance, gymnastics, swimming and athletics.
- Increase and improve success in competitive school sports.
- Ensure an inclusive physical education curriculum.
- Improve partnership work on physical education with other schools and other local partners
- Increase links with other subjects that contribute to pupil’s overall achievement and their social, spiritual, moral and cultural skills,
- Ensure greater awareness among pupils about the dangers of obesity, smoking and other such activities that undermine pupil’s health.